About every three weeks I bake a big batch of bread! We keep a loaf in the fridge and then freeze the rest and use them as needed. It works perfectly for us and is such a healthier option than store bought! Plus, it tastes soooooo good!
Really, it is super easy to make. I use my Bosch, but a Kitchen aid will work as well. It does take time, but most of it is spent waiting for the bread to rise. The best time to make it is when you have a morning or afternoon to spend doing little catch-up things around the house. Then you can get house stuff done in-between the bread making.
Moms whole wheat bread:
The fist loaf usually doesn’t make it off the counter. It taste so good fresh out of the oven with a little butter and jam!
Hope you all try this recipe. Let me know what you think!
Have a good night all!
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup oil (I use olive oil. I don’t like a heavy taste of olives so I use the light olive oil)
- 6 cups warm water
- 3 Tbs Instant yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbs salt (I use Real Salt, it’s not bleached and contains minerals)
- 16-20 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbs Dough Enhancer
- Combine warm water, yeast, and 2 cups flour in large bowl. Allow to set for 15 minutes. Add honey, oil, dough enhancer, salt, and 4-5 cups additional flour. Dough should be smooth and elastic. Do not add too much flour.
- Using a Bosch or Kitchen aid mixer knead bread 6-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Form dough into 5-6 loaves. Place dough into greased loaf pans and allow to rise in a warm area. (This gives the yeast time to work) Let raise until double in size, 30-60 minutes.
- Bake loaves for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Bread is cooked through when it cooked when it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, and when the top and sides are a golden brown color.
- As soon as bread is removed from oven take a stick of butter, unwrap one end, and run butter over each loafs crust allowing it to melt and seal in the breads moisture.
- Let sit for 10 minutes and then gently tap each side of loaf pan against counter before removing from pan. Enjoy!